How To - Dial-Up Configuration for Mac OS X
This document describes how to configure a PPP client for Mac OS
X. Once completed, you will be able to connect to OregonFAST.net
from a remote location using a modem and a regular telephone line.
A Note About Connection Rates
Our dial-up pool supports 56K modems. However, 56K is a theoretical
connection rate. Three things will affect your actual connection
rate: The speed and configuration of your modem, the standards it
supports, and the quality of your phone lines. In practice, the
connection rate is somewhat slower. You may want to lower the connection
speed of your 56K modem for more reliable connections.
Note: Make sure you Login to your computer as ADMINISTRATOR or
equivalent. If you do not do so, you may not be able to even see
or configure your dial-up networking.
STEP 1: Open System Preferences
- Click the apple menu.
- Click System Preferences...
STEP 2: Open the network panel
- Click the Network icon.
- Click the Show drop-down list and choose Internal Modem.
- Click the TCP/IP tab.
- Click the Configure drop-down menu and choose Using PPP.
STEP 3: The PPP Tab
- Click the PPP tab.
- Enter your local OregonFAST.net access phone number (see local access numbers) in the Telephone Number field.
- Type your username in the Account Name field.
- Type your password in the Password field.
- Click the box next to Save password.
STEP 4: PPP Options Panel
- Click PPP Options.
- Uncheck the box next to Connect automatically when starting TCP/IP applications.
- Uncheck the box next to Prompt to stay connected.
- Uncheck the box next to Disconnect if idle.
- Uncheck the box next to Disconnect when user logs out.
- Click OK.
STEP 5: The Proxies Tab
- Uncheck all the boxes (i.e. FTP Proxy, Secure Web Proxy, Streaming
Proxy, Gopher Proxy, & Socks Firewall).
STEP 6: The Modem Tab
- Click on the Modem tab.
- Click the arrow box on the Modem drop-down list and choose Apple Internal 56K Modem (v.90). If you have a different modem, please select your modem from the list.
- Click the Tone radio button in the Dialing area.
- Check the box next to Show modem status in menu bar.
- Click on the Apply Now button.
- Close the Network window.
You have configured Mac OS X for dial up access
To use your LavaNet internet connection you will have to use a
program called Internet Connect.
- You can find the Internet Connect program click on the Finder icon on the dock.
- Click on the hard drive icon.
- Double click on the folder entitled Applications.
- Find the icon entitled Internet Connect.
- You can make an alias for the Internet Connect icon by pushing
the Open Apple Key and L at the same time.
- It will make an icon entitled Internet Connect alias.
- You can drag this icon to your desktop or to the dock for future
- Double click on the Internet Application icon.
- To get connected to the internet, push the Connect button on the bottom right hand corner.
Once you are done with the Internet, go back to the Internet Connect program and click the Disconnect button to end the connection.